Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Back on

First of all, my sincre apologies to all my regular readers from around the globe (more suprising than the one reader from Turkey is that I seem to have a "reader base" in Russia!)

The shut down finished some time ago and since then we've all been caught up in meetings and writing reports on how it went. It actually went pretty dam well for my first crack if you don't mind me saying. There's plenty of room for improvement but like anything that's when it becomes really interesting. I'll get a chance to do another one mid-next year and in the meantime before we begin planning I've got my hands full inspecting steelwork from the 1930's (a tip: it doesn't get better with age!).

Plenty of riding has been happeing too. A few weeks back I raced at the Whyalla Track Carnival which is about a 2 hour drive from Pirie. It was a pretty good set-up with a really nice 270m outdoor velo and racing under lights with most of the town filling up the grandstand. Whilst I'm certain I was the best placed male in my grade, I didn't get near the podium. No, 4 U19 SASI girls made sure I was never in the money - bit of a reality check but then again those same four girls rocked up to Oceanias a couple of weeks later and came 5th in the TP. There was a highlight though making my first and then second wheelrace final. Again, I didn't get the cheese, but it was a boost to at least be in with a chance for the first time.

The day after the Whyalla club also held some graded criteriums. I wasn't off to a great start when the night before I had to settle for dinner at Maccas due to the fact that it's a country town and the racing finished at 11pm. No matter though, I rocked up to find the course was in an industrial estate behind the OneSteel mill in a "T" section with 3 hairpin corners marked out with a single withches hat each and a howling crosswind. I was lucky to get in the right move early on with a few other dudes and it ended up in a sprint to the line with me coming 2nd by a wheel. If I'm being honest it was the right result as the guy that one had done the lion's share of the work to stay away. With that confidence boost and $40 cold hard cash, I headed home.

I should have been relegated for my kit colour combination here


After almost 20 years, I finally own a BMX again (a little present to myself after the shutdown)


Last week at work it was hot, freaking hot. Our air-conditioner packed it in and the combination of thick orange overalls, old cramped brick building made for a sweat-fest. Luckily our boss is very reasonable and sent us home at lunchtime. What to do? We decided to pull a "B&E" on one of the Brazilian contractors' house whilst he was away on holiday and make good use of the pool.

Tough day at the office, Matt in the background getting radical

I'd also like to give a massive shout-out to Apple and a little thing called "FaceTime". It has meant that I've been able to keep in touch with Chrissy, Dave, Spiro and Jimmy and almost feel like I'm there with them, laughing and offering my life coach skills (which they deeply appreciate). I welcome anyone to FaceTime me but I do warn you, since I live by myself in Pirie, I can't guarantee I'll be wearing pants.

 
 
Last night marked my long awaited return to Tuesday night track with Brunswick CC. It was so great to hear "Heeeyyyy this guy!" and catch up with all the boys down there that I haven't seen in ages. Apart from almost binning it when I pulled a foot (thanks to Rolly for his ginger ninja skills to avoid stacking into me) I made the Xmas wheelrace final (also thank to a generous handicap) but had to lead it out from a little too far out. That big W is getting closer though.
 

If I don't get a chance to post before Xmas, have a safe and merry one! (С Рождеством!)
 
I'll be racing Bendigo Track Carnival if you want to cheer/heckle/come at me

No comments:

Post a Comment