Sunday, October 28, 2012

Shut it down

Ok so I am now in the final quarter of what seems like an eternity...

I'm on day 14 of the Lead Plant Shutdown and in that time I've worked 140hrs and had only one RDO. Actually if you take into account all the prep work we were doing in the weeks leading up and the work still to be done, I'll be clocking up close to 350hrs over 6 weeks with 6 RDO's. I've been getting up at 5am every morning so I can be in the changehouse by 6am. First meeting at 6:30am, second at 7am, quick walk-through of the site then 3rd meeting at 10:30am, eat whilst calling contractors, order replacement parts, organise crane to lift ductwork, inspect welding, catch-up with area supervisors, find missing bolts, update schedule with the scheduler, find time to update site-diary, eat whilst reviewing JSEA's, take photos, attend 4th and final meeting at 4:30pm, write "to do" list for tomorrow... realise it looks much like the "to do" list for today...

It's the most fun I've had at work in ages. It's not work, I love it.

It's hectic, noisy, stressful and sometimes hazardous to your health (not in an incorrect posture at a desk way but rather a acid burn, getting crushed, falling off something way). But the reason I like it is that things are happening here. I mean, things are being torn-down, rebuilt, refreshed, refurbed. The old plant, well sections of it, are being given a new lease of life. And it's not just so that they look pretty, if production isn't improved then not only is the plant obviously going to suffer but everyone who lives here will too. From the guy that works night shift on the Blast Furnace, to the dude who runs the newsagency. Pirie runs on lead. I keep that in mind when I finish a 14hr shift - this work is really important.

What more could you ask for?

Whilst not obvious in this photo, I am fully aware that 15 tonnes of steel crane is being dismantled behind me


No comments:

Post a Comment